Yesterday my husband and I headed off to Calero County Park to hike. It's mostly exposed grassland, with steep rolling hills that eventually lead into California Oak woodland. Along the way spots of chaparral appear, and near water, even small creeks, it becomes riparian. It was a total of four miles and the day was sunny, mid-70s, with an occasional gentle breeze. Now and then we would pause to rest and observe. I'm always amazed by the oak trees.
For example, this is a branch. Oak trees grow crooked and gnarled. They are massive. I've wondered why. Brief research tells me there are four main reasons:- Phototropism: they chase sunlight, meaning they even bend sideways to find light and space if they are threatened by tree canopy.
- Wind resistance: spiraled trunks and branches help the trees withstand wind so they are resilient and don't break.
- Gravity and soil movement: on steep hillsides, soil can shift minutely, causing young roots to also move. To compensate and resume upward growth, the tree employs specialized cells to grow "tension wood". This is what makes them curved.
- Loss of main leaders: sometimes the central tip of a young tree breaks off. This allows other branches to compensate and creates a gnarled and wide crown.
Eventually we reached the bluff above the reservoir.
There is no trail access down to the water. Another entrance allows for boats to be launched. As far as I can tell, this is not a swimming lake, as it's a water source for the community.My stamina being a bit limited, we decided to turn around at this point. We traversed two steep hills (both going up and down) and reached the top of the last one. In the distance I could see the parking lot and our car. So tempting to think about cutting across the fields and heading directly to it! (I circled it in purple.)
But no, being environmentally sensitive hikers, we followed the trail. There was quite an array of scat all along our hike. I saw rabbit pellets, and scat with fur in it which I assume was from mountain lion, bobcat, coyote and fox. This is also a horse trail so there were piles of horse apples every so often. This is a busy park where the residents have priority. We saw wild turkeys under a large oak close to the lake. On the way back I picked up a turkey feather for my altar. It reminded me of the feather on the cover of my current read, Theo of Golden.It was a perfect way to spend several hours, and I'm glad we did it then, because we're headed into a hot spell of upper 90s to 100s.



